Friday, September 28, 2007

I Quit My Job To Save The World

I am not rich. Nor am I famous. I don't come from a wealthy family. Nor did I marry for money. (Though I try not to mention that in public. It makes people assume I'm a lot less intelligent than I actually am.) I don't own any thing of material significance. I am not enlightened. Spiritually or intellectually. I am just an ordinary bloke from a middle-class background. I am 33, live in a rented house, and, at best, have enough money to survive for the next three months.

And today, I quit my job to save the world.

I know it sounds bizarre. Even insane. I am not leaving behind a job that you wouldn't pick up for double the salary. No, sir. People would give their left arm and a leg to be in my chair. Yes! I am not just giving up the security of a paycheck. I am leaving behind the luxury of a six digit salary per month, the privilege of hobnobbing with fashion models and film stars, invitations to cocktail parties of the 'it's-a-sin-to-be-absent' kind. I am surrendering my right to sit with my feet up all day and be treated like a king. I am giving up my right to get paid for just 'thinking.' You see, I work in advertising.

But not any longer. Today is my last day at work.

I am giving up my career and this lifestyle to do something good for my community. Of course, I have a plan. Nothing works without a plan. My plan starts with trying to make a difference in Chennai, my adopted home. It's a big, ambitious idea for change. Just like you, I have read and heard about the very many problems in our society. I have always conveniently ignored it. Not because I'm bad or anything. I never had the time. Or it was always 'later.' Plus, these things were primarily someone else's business – the NGOs, the Charities, the government... Never mine.

I don't think that is true anymore. There are more problems that there are people who can solve them. Unless and until each one of us realises that, and does whatever we can to be part of the solution, there will be no change. One part of our community will be a rotting mess of poor, illiterate, sick, homeless, and hopeless people. The other side will be rich, greedy, corrupt, inconsiderate, and indifferent. And it just gets worse everyday.

I am going to give the best to what I intend to do. I love Chennai. I love to see more 'good' in its streets. But obviously, social change is not a private process. It is all about collaboration. Of spirited citizens, of like-minded people. Any idea that needs to make a difference in the community has to have a lot of good people supporting it. A lot of good people who are fed up
with the way things are. Who are willing to 'act' in any big or small way they can.

I want to tell you what my plan is. But not today. Today is my day to savor the last minutes of a flashy career before it disappears forever. Today is my last day of being an 'unconcerned' citizen.

Honestly, I have no idea what my future holds. Or what it will look like in, say, six months. I may be begging at your doorsteps for all I know. But I promise to keep you all posted. I really hope that everything works out well. If you can, please do pray for me. Thanks. Some of you may think I've lost my marbles. That's OK. If I am mad, I am a really happy mad man right now. See you tomorrow. PEACE.


3 comments:

electric wind said...

really? i mean, have you REALLY quit your job?? good luck with the monkey-business, buddy!! some folks are with you all the way... :)

- a

Anonymous said...

now if only everyone would do the same....

MMM said...

Just be pround....
I wish I can do that tomorrow...
Im working on it....
Best Of luck.....